Register now to be notified when this course is open for enrolment.
Learn Mixed Media Art with Debbie Lyddon!
Debbie Lyddon, pays attention to the light, weather, water and sound. These natural processes and phenomena inspire her work including drawings, mixed media cloths, sculptures and installations.
Debbie lives by the sea in Norfolk where the influences and resources of the old fishing town Wells-Next-The Sea are evident in her finished pieces. Adapting the traditional ways sailors used wax and linseed oil to protect and preserve their Old sailes, tarpaulins and ropes with chalk, sea coal and ochers, Debbie’s work links the materiality of the environments with the utilitarian use of cloth in a coastal location.
Impermanence, change and degeneration play a large part in the making of her work and she can often be found immersing her work in the salt and sand that beckons just beyond her studio window.
Debbie Will Guide You Through The Following Modules Sharing Her Wisdom Along The Way.
MODULE 1: Sight - Moments of Being 1
- Develop your observational skills through guided walks and exercises, honing in on the sense of sight and translating your experiences into artistic expressions.
- Learn how to create a personalized sketchbook and portable outdoor drawing kit, essential tools for capturing inspiration on the go.
- Explore the power of noticing and learning from renowned artists' approaches to documenting their surroundings, enriching your creative process.
- Explore deeply the concept of "Moments of Being," where memories and observations merge to inspire meaningful memories and reflection on experiences during walks and provides insights into memory retention.
You will engage on a sight walk guided by Debbie, document your observations and create artwork from techniques shared by Debbie: Wet Media, Large Water Colour Papers, and make a Caterpillar Book with a cover.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to engage deeply with your environment, document your experiences through various mediums, and translate your observations into captivating artwork. You'll be equipped with essential techniques, tools, and inspiration to embark on your creative journey with confidence.
MODULE 2: Sight - Moments of Being 2Welcome to Sight - Moments of Being 2, where you will continue the journey of observation and artistic exploration initiated in Module One. Building on the insights gained from your sight walk, this module will explore collage-making, colour exploration, and artistic expression.
- Learn how to translate your observations from the sight walk into vibrant and imaginative collages, exploring design principles such as colour, space, balance, line, and shape by making collages inspired by your Sight Walk.
- Explore the intersection of colour theory and collage-making using techniques inspired by renowned artist Terry Frost, creating a rich array of colours and textures through acrylic painting and paper collage.
- Discover Debbie’s process of creating textured papers using paste, expanding your creative possibilities and adding depth to your collage compositions.
- Explore the process of stitching your collage compositions, adding another dimension to your artwork and enhancing visual interest with intricate stitching details.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to infuse your artwork with depth, texture, and colour, drawing inspiration from your surroundings and transforming your observations into captivating collage compositions.
MODULE 3: Sound - Decorating the Silence 1In this module, you will explore the concept of Sound - Decorating the Silence. You will embark on a journey of auditory exploration and artistic interpretation. In this module, you will explore sound, using our sense of hearing as a gateway to artistic expression. Through a series of exercises, Debbie will teach you how to listen deeply to the sounds around us and translate them into visual representations.
- Explore the connection between sound and art, learning how to visualize and interpret auditory stimuli through drawing and mark-making.
- Engage in a sensory experience by going on a sound walk, where you'll observe and document the sounds of your environment, paying attention to their nuances and rhythms.
- Discover how to create intricate soundscapes using various materials and techniques, from tissue paper to cloth, and translate them into stitched compositions.
- Learn to interpret sound marks into stitch, exploring different stitches and thread thicknesses to convey the intensity and texture of the sounds you've captured.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to harness the power of sound as a source of inspiration for your artistic practice. You'll be equipped with techniques to listen deeply, observe attentively, and translate the richness of auditory experiences into captivating visual artworks. This module offers both seasoned artists and beginners a unique opportunity to expand their creative horizons and explore the possibilities of sonic expression.
MODULE 4: Sound - Decorating the Silence 2Following on from the above module, you now move into Decorating the Silence. You will explore with Debbie deeper into the art of sound marking, she will share the significance of holes as a repeating motif in her work. Debbie shares her insights and inspiration from sculptor Barbara Hepworth's philosophy and journey in understanding the essence of holes and how they can be transformed into powerful symbols of sound and silence within our artworks.
- Exploring the intriguing concept of holes as both physical voids and symbolic representations of sound and silence. Discover how holes can serve as focal points for artistic expression.
- Gain insight into the artistic philosophy of renowned sculptor Barbara Hepworth, who masterfully the idea of form emerging from the interaction between matter and emptiness, and how this concept can inform your creative practice.
- Learn a variety of techniques for creating holes in your artwork and experiment with different materials and stitches to achieve unique textures and visual effects that enhance the auditory experience of your art.
- Discover your own motif inspired by your environment whilst learning to create soundmarks with purpose using them as visual representations that convey rhythm, texture, and tone.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of the artistic significance of holes and how they can be used to create evocative soundmarks that enrich the sensory experience of your artworks. This module offers a wealth of inspiration and practical guidance for incorporating holes into your creative practice with purpose and meaning.
MODULE 5: Touch - Holding Place 1Touch - Holding Place, in this module we embark on a tactile exploration guided by the wisdom and expertise of textile artist Debbie emphasizes the integral role of touch in her artistic practice. Building upon our previous explorations of observation and sensory perception. Firstly, you will embark on a touch walk and then you will examine cloth in its natural habitat, observing how the elements leave their marks and stains, narrating tales of resilience and transformation.
- Debbie will guide you through techniques and processes to weather cloth, infusing it with the patina of time and experience. You will explore the notion that objects hold both known and unknown narratives, inviting curiosity and interpretation. In this module, you will no doubt gain a deeper appreciation for the reciprocal nature of touch and the stories it reveals.
- You will explore reflection on the significance of collected objects and the stories they hold
- Explore how the act of selecting and ascribing value to objects imbues them with personal meaning, blurring the lines between everyday items and artworks.
- Investigate how the environment naturally weathers cloth as well as explore techniques for simulating weathering effects on cloth, from fading and staining to dripping and seeping. Through experimentation and observation, gain insights into how environmental factors leave their mark on textiles over time.
By the end of this module, you'll have a solid understanding of the intricate relationship between touch, and texture, and will be armed with a repertoire of techniques inspired by the elements. You will be equipped with practical skills and a newfound sense of curiosity and be able to create pieces that resonate with depth and meaning.
MODULE 6: Touch - Holding Place 2In Module Six, "Touch – Holding Place” you will explore even deeper the transformative power of materials and their ability to evoke a sense of place within our artwork. Guided by Debbie, you experiment with unconventional materials typically found in DIY stores and hardware shops, discovering their potential to breathe life into cloth and fabric. From emulsion paint to linseed oil, from wax to bitumen, each material becomes a conduit for storytelling, inviting us to reimagine our surroundings through tactile exploration.
- Discover how everyday materials like emulsion paint, linseed oil, and varnish can be repurposed to create unique textures and narratives within your artwork through the use of unconventional materials:
- Learn practical techniques for stiffening cloth, such as using PVA or wax, and explore how these methods can imbue fabric with new dimensions of strength and resilience.
- Explore 3D creation as Debbie demonstrates how to make vessels and tubes using found objects and innovative techniques as you experiment from painting and stitching to incorporating natural elements like seeds and shells, to create personal meaning and a Sense of Place within your own work.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to leverage unconventional materials and techniques to infuse your artwork with a profound sense of place and narrative. Whether you’re sculpting vessels inspired by natural forms or using fabric with stitched details reminiscent of coastal textures, you’ll emerge with confidence and inspiration to explore the limitless possibilities of material exploration in your creative practice.
MODULE 7: Action into FormIn this module - Action to Form - 3D, Debbie will share her process of making three-dimensional works. You will be building upon the foundational concepts explored in the previous module whilst exploring the process of transforming inspiration into a tangible form, drawing from both the natural world and “Moments of being”. Guided by Debbie's expertise you will explore techniques for manipulating paper and cloth to create dynamic 3D structures that reflect our experiences and interactions with the environment.
- Learn how to translate inspiration into three-dimensional form, drawing upon techniques inspired by renowned artists like Richard Serra and guided by Debbie's expertise in manipulating materials.
- Explore Debbie step by step-by-step process as she guides you to experiment with paper sculpting by cutting, folding, scoring, and joining paper to craft a diverse array of 3D shapes and structures, encouraging exploration and freedom in the artistic process.
- Discover innovative methods for connecting and assembling 3D forms, from needle and thread to unconventional materials like wire, whilst constantly working on problem-solving skills along the way.
- Refine your creations as you learn to translate sketches and drawings into cloth sculptures, honing your observation skills and exploring the intricate connections between form, function, and inspiration.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to conceptualize, design, and fabricate three-dimensional artworks that reflect your unique perspective and creative vision. Whether you're sculpting with paper or crafting cloth sculptures inspired by the natural world, you'll emerge with newfound confidence and proficiency in the art of 3D form creation, ready to bring your artistic visions into the subsequent modules of this course.
MODULE 8: Waxed Cloth CollageIn this module, you will explore the dynamic world of waxed collage, building upon the techniques and concepts explored in previous workshops. Here, Debbie takes from through a transition from paper to cloth, infusing your creations through innovative use of materials like gesso, wax, and stitching.
- Learn the art of collage construction using gessoed cloth as a backdrop, exploring composition and landscape elements while experimenting with various fabrics and paints to create dynamic arrangements.
- Waxing Collage: Dive into the waxing process as you infuse your collages with depth and texture, utilizing beeswax and resin to achieve unique surface effects that enhance the visual impact of your creations.
- Add Colour by explore the nuances of colour application, using watercolour paints to infuse your collages that interact beautifully with the waxed surface
- You will draw inspiration from Debbie's innovative techniques and creative ideas, experimenting with oil paints, embroidery stitches, and mixed-media elements to personalize your collages.
- Finally, you will consider presentation options, from traditional framing to mounting on wooden boards, as you bring your artistic vision to life in stunning detail.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to create compelling waxed whilst gaining a better understanding of composition. You'll emerge from this module ready to explore the limitless possibilities of mixed-media expression.
MODULE 9: Combining the SencesThis is the final module of the course, where you are invited by Debbie, to use your landscape and environment, you are encouraged to explore sensory perception. As a recap, throughout this journey, you have explored: sight, sound, and touch. Debbie has shown you how to hone your skills by sharing her processes, materials and techniques. This module is about bringing together these sensory experiences in a culmination of our artistic exploration. You will explore the concept of Phenomenology, a holistic approach to understanding the landscape through all our senses.
- Learn the art of combining sight, sound, and touch to create a multi-dimensional understanding of the landscape, exploring concepts like oral visuality and haptic visuality through sensory into
- Making Connections: Explore the power of connectivity in art, delving into the intricate relationships between language, visual elements, and personal experiences to create meaning and depth in your work.
- Embrace the uniqueness of your landscape and experiences through personal expression whilst finding inspiration in the textures, colours, and motifs that resonate with your artistic vision.
- Venture into the outdoors on your very own sensory exploration, documenting your observations and experiences as you immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, and textures of your environment, paving the way for new creative possibilities.
By the end of this module, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to harness the power of sensory perception to create evocative and meaningful works of art. Through the immersive experiences shared by Debbie as well as your thoughtful reflection, you will now have the tools to emerge with a newfound appreciation for the interconnectedness of the senses.